How many cookies does Santa eat on Christmas Eve/early Christmas morning? There’s no way of knowing. Even so, with roughly 7.3 billion people currently living on planet Earth, that’s a lot of households Santa has to visit in one night. So you can imagine that with Santa consuming so many cookies in one night for an unknown amount of years (all we know is that Santa has been doing his thing for a long time), Santa has become a bit of a cookie connoisseur. That’s not to say Santa isn’t a cookie snob; he just knows what a good cookie is supposed to taste like.
Thus, if you want to impress the big man in red this holiday season, you need to bake him a plate of cookies that he won’t forget for many Christmases to come – and that’s where we come in. While it’s debatable what makes a cookie ‘the best,’ the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the gals at the food blog Not Without Salt have created what we would call the very ‘best’ cookie recipe of all time. Believe us when we say that you will want to make an extra batch for your family – just be sure to leave enough for Santa. The beset part of all? You can find all the ingredients you need at The City Market!
Here’s what you will need:
2 sticks of butter (8 oz.)
¼ cup of white sugar (2 oz.)
¼ cup of Turbinado sugar (2 oz.)
Note: Turbinado sugar is also known as ‘sugar in the raw,’ made from pure cane sugar extract. If you cannot find Turbinado sugar, brown sugar is a proper substitute. If using brown sugar, leave it unpacked in this step but pack it as instructed in the step below.
1 ¾ cup of light brown sugar, packed (12 oz.)
2 tsp of vanilla (1/4 oz.)
3 ½ cup of All Purpose flour (1 lb.)
1 ½ tsp of Baking soda
¾ tsp of salt
1 canister of sea salt
1 lb. of chocolate; cut chocolate chunks ½ inch in diameter.
Note: Not Without Salt suggests using the best chocolate you can afford; if possible, don’t skimp on quality.
½ tsp of top-quality salt – you will sprinkle this on top of the cookies before baking them.
Now that you have all of your ingredients, here’s how to actually make these mouth-watering cookies:
1. Cream the butter and sugars together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Be sure you scrape all of the mixture together – you don’t want to leave any of this mixture on the side of the bowl.
2. When the mixture is light and fluffy, add an egg and continue mixing. When the egg is properly mixed in, add another egg and continue mixing. Continue this process until you have added all of the eggs and they are properly mixed together.
3. Add the vanilla and continue stirring until it is properly mixed.
4. Grab another bowl and mix the baking soda and salt together using a whisk. As you continue mixing, slowly add the flour. Continue mixing until the three ingredients are properly mixed together.
5. Pour one bowl into the other and mix them together until everything is incorporated (just be sure not to over mix).
6. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate. Sprinkle a layer of sea salt over the top of the mixture, then mix it in.
7. Form your cookies onto your favourite cookie sheet and bake them at 360 degrees for approximately 12 –minutes.
That’s it! A simply cookie recipe that Santa is absolutely going to love – just don’t forget to leave him a glass of milk to wash them down with!